It’s that time of year again. While the Sacramento Valley is still experiencing the last investigates of summer’s daytime heat, the nights are starting to reflect the cooler climate of the Autumn chill. Due to the high cost of energy, Sacramento’s leading heating and air company, Affordable Heating & Air, recommends that homeowners take proactive steps to keep their homes warm and cost down now before the truly cold weather hits.
During these tough economic times, your home, as one of your most important investments, should follow a regular program of maintenance and repair in order to keep that valuable asset in good condition.
The following are some examples of what you can do for the fall to avoid the most common and costly problems before they occur.
At Affordable Heating & Air, we recommend:
- You clean or replace your furnace filters on a monthly basis during the time that you use your furnace.
- Every two years, have your furnace or heating system serviced by a qualified HVAC service company.
- If heating bills have been high in the past, consider replacing your old system with a modern high efficiency system that will save you money.
- Replace your thermostat with a modern programmable one that can be set for maximum energy savings.
- Vacuum out your electric heaters before using them to remove dirt and dust.
- Clean dust and dirt from heating vents.
- Vacuum and clean out dust and dirt from central heating and air conditioning ducts.
- Ensure that all windows and doors seal properly when shut and do not allow leaks of cold air to enter the house due to poor sealing.
- If you own a fireplace, ensure that the flue shuts properly when not in use so as not to let cold air into the house.
- As water heaters can be a hidden source of high energy cost, ensure your water heater is in good working order, high efficiency, and well insulated.
Don’t wait until the cold weather hits to protect yourself against the cold.